When I was little the thing that I HATED the very most was when my mom would give away HOMEMADE gifts, whether it be for birthdays or Christmas, I HATED it. After I got married I heard Ryan's mom make the comment once that she loved when her sisters family had their name for Christmas because she knew whatever she gave them would be homemade. Hmmmm!! It made me think about what exactly "homemade" was. Maybe my mom knew something I didn't know. I realized (as an adult) that homemade means so much more than just the "gift." When you receive something that has been homemade, alot of time, thought and love has gone into whatever it is you have been given. So, each year I like to do atleast a few homemade gifts. I really think about the person I am making for and try hard to decided what they need most, or what fits them best. Sometimes it is something simple - like a hooded towel, and sometimes it is more elaborate like a homemade boardgame (which by the way.....it SO FUN!). This year I have made just a few things - nothing hard, but as simple as it is it was made with LOVE!!
This magnet board is one I made for my sisters new house. We have her families name for Christmas - I figured Christmas/House warming gift.
These are the magnet boards I made for my nieces and nephew on Ryan's side. I thought they turned out SO CUTE! (It is hard to see in the pic how cute the colors and big foam letters really are!)
I have also sewn pillowcases and hooded towels. I have made a few vinyl signs and dehydrated a bunch of fruit to fill jars with. I have made some magnet nativities for some close friends and my VT ladies. Sometimes homemade takes a little extra time when Christmas is already so CRAZY, but I have never regretted making something with my own hands for someone I love.

And......Here is just a little something my kids made - thanks to grandma for the kit!!





3 comments:
I feel the same way. I am sad it took me so long to see the magic in homemade-but it is something really special. I didn't have a chance to make very many things this year but I have a list of things to make throughout the year for all my loved ones.
Those magnet boards are adorable! I want to know how you did them.
super cute! Merry Christmas
I love the boards too. And the gingerbread house. It is always so fun for the kids to decorate them. I have become my mom in some ways too. Good thing she was such a great mom!
Post a Comment