Friday, January 7, 2011

BANGS....Hmmmm


So.....I go through phases where I think bangs are OKAY....and then phases where I think NOBODY in their right mind should have bangs. I have kinda been in the 2nd phase lately and so I truly about feel off my rocker the other day when Oakley announced that she wanted bangs. You want WHAT?? REALLY? SERIOUSLY? Where is this coming from? So, I tried not to let the shock of it all change her mind. One thing that my mom ALWAYS let us decide on was how we wanted our hair. It is one of the things you can change a million times and it will always come back. It was something she let us have control over (to a certain extent....pink hair may not have gone over well!). So....I decided along time ago I was going to also allow my girls to decide how they want their hair.
Quick story: When I was 15 years old I went to stay at my Grandma Murdocks and she was always great about spoiling us and so she let me and my cousin Nanette buy some hair dye and use her basement sink to dye our hair. I don't remember the color of Nanette's, but mine was a nice auburn red. I instantly LOVED it. It was a little bright for the first little while and the day after the fun in the basement I had to go home. When I walked in the house my dad saw it and he said, "I guess if you want to look ugly that is up to you!" It didn't hurt my feelings, because if you remember being a teenager you remember that DAD'S don't know as much as a 15 year old does!! (*SIDE NOTE THOUGH....about a week later he actually told me that he really liked the color it had turned into once it faded just a little.) I have always remembered his words everytime I go in for a hair cut or color and wonder if I am going to come out looking ugly?! I think that is part of my fear with bangs. I explained to Oakley that these bangs may not be what she is picturing in her head....and in a way told her if she wanted to look ugly it was up to her!:)
SNIP, SNIP!

Here is my sweet girls before....I say *girls* because....ummm...that is right, the little one saw her sisters NEW BANGS and instantly needed some of her own! Break my heart!!

And this is my precious Laiklie after! It has taken us a day or two to get use to her bangs. Oakley has had bangs before, so we knew what to expect, but Laiklie has never had them, so it was a big change. She is just as cute as ever! Infact, I kind of think it makes her look a little younger which I don't mind! :)

And here is Oakley....they turned out great! She is beautiful no matter what we did to her! She couldn't ever be ugly even if she tried!
So, here is to starting a new year with BANGS! Hopefully girls with bangs have more fun!!

3 comments:

Bobbi said...

You're right. It makes Laiklie look younger and Oakley look OLDER! :) Watch out mama. lol

Nanette said...

My hair was red and I thought it was fabulous although it probably wasn't THAT fabulous. We've had some crazy times in Grandma's basement. :)
Your girls are adorable-love the bangs!

Jenny said...

So sweet! I like the bangs. I'm currently trying to get rid of mine. hmmm. Hair, what can you do?