Saturday, April 2, 2011

Blastoff

This coming July will be 3 years since Ryan and I had the opportunity to go on Trek with our stake. We got to be the ma and pa to a group of amazing (and drama filled) teenagers. One of the teenagers we were able to be ma and pa to was a young woman named Shae. Shae was handpicked for our "trek family" because she has Type 1 Diabetes....something Ryan and I know a little bit about! Shae is now a senior in high school and for her senior project she did a gathering for all the T1 diabetic kids and their families. We were invited to BLASTOFF! Blastoff is one of my kids VERY FAVORITE PLACES EVER!! I love this picture of my ratty haired - messy faced baby! You can see she was in heaven!:) Rhett showing his sliding SKILLS!

They opened the entire facility to the T1 diabetics and their families. Usually you have to pay separate to rock climb, mini golf and laser tag. The three big kids rock climbed over and over and did some mini golf. The laser tag line was too long! I LOVE this picture of Rhett looking up to see HOW MUCH FURTHER he has to go!

It kind of surprised me that Dallin was a little hesitant to try the rock climbing and would only try it after he saw big sister Oakley and little brother Rhett try. He LOVED it though and once he started didn't want to stop.

And here is our little T1 diabetic herself. It is only because of this sweet girl and this disease that has affected every minute of her life that we were even invited to this event. (I would choose not being invited over diabetes ANY DAY!!) I am SO GRATEFUL for the chance Ryan and I got to meet Shae and be a part of her life. She is an amazing young woman and I hope Oakley can continue to make a difference in others lives the way Shae has.

2 comments:

Jess said...

It is truly amazing how our trials bless our lives and the lives of others. They make us stronger and wiser too. What a memorable moment for your and your family. I think of all the many hard steps you and your family have taken to get through what will be a lifetime adjustment and you are an example to me in your strength and ability to see the good in life no matter the situation.

Jenny said...

Super fun place! I love the pictures of the kids on the wall.