Monday, July 25, 2011

4-H

This summer Oakley signed up with a few of her clogging buddies to do 4-H. We had never done 4-H (since I was little anyway) and so this was definitely ALL NEW to us. She signed up for a sewing, bread making and cake decorating class. The sewing made me a little nervous because I knew she would be relying on my sewing skills to learn her sewing skills and.....I am not gonna lie to you.....I suck at sewing. My sweet mother is an AMAZING seamstress and has tried over and over to teach me to sew. I have learned several things from these classes, but not enough to help my sweet daughter sew this skirt she chose to sew.

I was however pretty proud of myself with the fact that I figured most everything out except the bias tape by myself. Thank you mom for the lesson on bias tape! :) Oakley, however, WAS AMAZING! I couldn't believe how quickly she caught on. She has also had a few small sewing classes at grandma's house, so this wasn't her very 1st, but for what she did she blew me away!Do you see what I am talking about?! She sewed this super cute zebra skirt with a tie-dye hot pink overskirt and a tulle petticoat. It is SO STINKING CUTE!! She gets to model it for the judges at the fair next week. She is also suppose to make some bread of some sort.....thanks to grandma Hawkins for already agreeing to help with that. (I also suck at making bread....SORRY MOM! I know you tried!) And she is suppose to turn in a dumby cake that is decorated using frosting tips. This is one of the 5 practice cakes she had to do for the class. She LOVED the cake decorating and has gotten pretty good at it. She may now be this houses official cake decorator! Oakley AND I have both learned SO MUCH from doing 4-H and I am especially glad she decided to take part in it this year just because of the few things I learned along HER 4-H journey. Love you Oakley and I AM SOOO PROUD OF YOU!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Good work, Oakley! And mom! Your skirt and cake are great!