Sunday, April 22, 2012

Science Fair

My sister and I were talking the other day about who invented the science fair.  We know that it was NOT A MOTHER! No mother in her right mind would invent the science fair!! I mean, SERIOUSLY!!!  So, Arnica and I decided it must have been Heavenly Father.  We figured he created the Earth and that is definitely ALL SCIENCE! So he must have been behind this whole Science Fair thing!
And what do you know? We were right!! Well, maybe he didn't invent it, but he definitely is interested in it.  This is how we know....
Oakley and one of her besties Katie (in the above pictures with their cute little noses plugged from the stinky science smell, ha! ha!) decided they wanted to grow a crystal garden.  We tried 4 times last Monday to get anything to grow.  NOPE. NOTHING!! So Tuesday we tried with a different ingredient - we discovered the lady at the store didn't give us the right bluing.  Who knew bluing even existed?? And it worked! Yay! After a day we had these beautiful blue crystals.  And after two days they were gorgeous!
I had Rhett setting the table Wednesday night and his little foot bumped the crystals that were growing by the heat vent and in an instant they were powder.  I was seriously sick to my stomach!!  Thursday morning, only 12 hours later we were suppose to take these gorgeous crystals to the school for judging.  *I want to note right here that there was NO YELLING!! I bit my tongue...I knew the damage was done and by yelling at my poor little boy who knew he had done something major already I was only going to create more damage!* So...while Oakley and Katie were at volleyball and before they ever even knew we had had an accident Rhett and I stirred-up not only one, but two (just in case) batches of crystals.  We placed them right infront of a heater and we prayed like we had never prayed before.  By morning we once again had GORGEOUS crystals.  They looked just like they had after 2 full days of growing in just one 12 hour period.  It was PROOF that Heavenly Father really does cares about the science fair! :)
 Rhett was SURE he had to do a project too! It wasn't required in 1st grade like it was in 6th grade so I tried OVER AND OVER again to talk him out of it.  (The truth is...he wasn't into the science part of it as much as the whole POSTER part! Ha, ha!! Funny kid!) When Wednesday came around and I could tell he was serious we got to work.  He learned all about how plants drink through capillary action.  He put his celery in blue water and we ended up with blue leaves. He tried this awesome paper towel/water experiment that worked and he used as part of his display also.  We put together his poster (favorite part!) and he helped me deliver it to the school.  He was SOOO SUPER EXCITED to come home and tell me he had gotten a 4th place ribbon on his project.  He also told me, "Mom...did you know that it wasn't even all about the poster.  It didn't even matter if you had a big or little one or what colors you used on it!" :)
I am proud of both my little Science Fair kiddies! Oakley and Katie also got a ribbon...a big 5th place.  I am SO GLAD that is over for another year! CHECK!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Good work, mom! And kids. :) Science fairs....but learning lessons about prayer and life YAY!