Tuesday, June 19, 2012

FHE

Yesterday we had to run to town to get Dallin some new shoes.  He only has 2 pairs.  One pair he has worn through the back and a funny little plastic thing is now digging into his heals.  The other pair hurt his feet when he walks.  So he NEEDED new shoes.  We also were getting me some new ones because about 2 weeks ago we announced to our YW that we will be walking the 10 miles from the stake center to the temple as a ward as part of our girls camp.  So....I NEEDED some shoes to walk in. (Ryan doesn't think flip flops are shoes and that's what I've got! :)  As we were in and out of several stores I had a couple of little kids that WANTED everything in site.  SO FRUSTRATING!! and we left several stores in tears because of it.  So for FHE last night I got out the dry erase board and we pulled out the bills in my TO PAY pile and we listed them all out.  The total ended up being $38,000 I owe right now.  Just this month! (Mostly because of farm fertilizer.  It worked great for the FHE lesson though!)  Then we pulled up the text that the bank sent me this past friday telling me how much was in our account $3,100. I explained to the kids that the difference was almost $35,000.  I told them bills were due friday and asked how they thought we were going to get the money we needed to pay them.  Dallin, as sweet as ever, says "PRAY?!"  Ryan and I giggled.  :) I think Heavenly Father might fall off his chair if we started praying to have $35,000 by friday!  So we told them that was a great answer, but that we also have a loan at the bank that we borrow from when we have big farm bills and explained a little of how that works to them.  They were amazed at how much in bills we get each month.  We also talked about how much we pay for their different activities like swimming lessons, clogging, gymnastics, etc.  THEN....we talked about NEEDS AND WANTS!  We again listed things on the dry erase board.  I went around and asked them all something that they WANT and then asked them something that they NEED.  When I got to Laiklie I asked what she wanted and she said, "Make-up....I can't live wisout make-up!" Again Ryan and I laughed.  Did we mention that she is 5 going on 17!!!
Anyway - the lesson went very well and I think it clicked with them that we have to use our money wisely and not just on anything that we WANT or we won't have it for the things we NEED.  I loved the cute comments by Dallin and Laiklie and wanted to remember.  So...onto the blog they go!
We have been super busy with some fun things that I promise to post when I get a few minutes!

1 comment:

Jenny McAllister said...

Laiklie and I see this the same...I was 5 when I decided that too. :)