Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The In's & Out's of the New Year

We have been busy - even though I don't have any pictures to show for it!
I have been chasing kids lately and occasionally sitting with my grandpa at the hospital.  He was put in the hospital a few weeks ago with a blood infection and lungs full of fluid. He was in ICU up until a few days ago.  I had the opportunity to go and sit with him some days so that he wasn't alone.  It was HARD! It was REALLY HARD to see him with tubes down his throat, and up his nose and all over in both arms.  It was hard to see his swollen hands and feet and his poor lips broke out in cold sores.  It was hard to watch him as he would try to move his tied down arms (they had to tie them down so he wouldn't pull the tube out of his throat) It was SO HARD when he motioned for me to untie him or for me to take the tube out.  It was hard when he would try to mouth words to me around the tube and I would not have a clue what he was saying.  It was all VERY HARD! I am grateful to say though that we are past that point.  Thankfully! We took the kids into see him last night for FHE and it was SO GOOD to see my sweet grandpa looking mostly back to normal.  His lips have healed.  The tubes are mostly gone and he was able to talk to me.  I didn't understand it all, but I could hear his voice and I LOVED it!
Oakley had club volleyball tryouts this past Saturday.  She has been working so hard at volleyball these past 2 weeks to get ready for the tryouts.  She had a great day at tryouts.  I sat and watched.  She got most of her serves over...she bumped (for the most part) really well and she even got a few good spikes.  I was very proud of her.  She came out of tryouts in tears though.  She watched them place her best friend on the #1 team and sent her back to the other side of the court in limbo with several other girls.  She was heartbroke.  We still don't know which team she has been placed on.  We should find out in a few days.  She is happy for her friend.....just bummed that they didn't see in her the same things they saw in Lauren.  That's okay though.  Oakley is a good little ball player and I am not worried about her at all.  We worked to build up her confidence again over the weekend and I think being knocked down a little bit is only going to make her work harder to prove to them that she wants it!  She has also been crazy with clogging.  One of the clogging teammates is traveling to Europe in a couple weeks for an entire month so they are cramming a new dance in before she leaves.  They have to have it learned...with formations...and everything.  They AMAZE me!! The steps they are doing are INCREDIBLE! They learned the 1st part of the dance last week and the 2nd part yesterday.  An entire dance in two weeks is crazy! But they do it and they do it well!!  She is a hard little worker for sure!!
Dallin started basketball again just after the new year.  He loves it.  He team is still undefeated and he is very proud of that.  We are still working to get him to be a little bit more aggressive.  He is just too kind.  He gets that from his momma!:)  He has also started math camp........and dropped out of math camp!  He tested high enough in his science and math portions of his state tests that they offered Science Camp (back before Christmas) and Math camp to Dallin.  He did the science camp and actually enjoyed learning how to blow things up in the microwave or make things explode with vinegar.  He didn't want to do the math camp, but I put him in it anyway hoping that they would teach them how to do some cool math tricks.  They didn't! Not so far anyway.  And he is MISERABLE!! He hates it so much! We decided that it is a waste of his time if he isn't going to get out of it what we were hoping he would, plus he is GREAT help to Ryan with the cows and would rather be home doing that after school anyway.  So we let him drop out. Dallin also tried snowboarding for the first time last week.  The bus was late getting them there and we had to leave early....so we didn't even get to see him try it! What a bummer! He really liked it though.  The school takes them up 3 more times and he is excited to try skiing next time instead of just snowboarding. 
Rhett is back in full force at gymnastics.  He got a gym mat for Christmas and has used and abused it already!  He is STOKED about his 1st pinewood derby that is coming up next week.  I wish his dad were as excited.  We have 2 cars to make and both have to keep an egg safely attached as they fly down the track.  Not a last minute thing to be worked on!  Ryan is kind of a last minute guy though. :)  Rhett also has this little fire inside him and has been wanting to share the gospel with about everyone he knows.  He asks constantly if he can take Mormon.org cards to school to give to people.  I am SO happy he wants to share the gospel.....I am just a little worried that the school won't be so happy about him doing it on their turf. 
Laiklie just had her 1st late over.  Friday night we had SEVERAL little girls her age (and several little boys Rhett's age) over for pizza, games and a movie.  She was in heaven surrounded by her best little buds.  She brings us so much happiness.  I LOVE watching her tease her dad!  She is a light in everyones lives!
The weather has been SOOOO COLD here lately.  We had our 1st snow day yesterday since I think Oakley was in kindergarten. Crazy!! It wasn't even cancelled because of snow.  It was cancelled because it was -25 outside.  That is COLD!! The pipes froze at the rental house so Ryan and I spent yesterday taking care of that.  He is at the rental house again today helping get a new heater put in.  It is too cold of a winter to heat such a big house with only a wood stove.  It will cost "just one big check" :) and we will hopefully be able to afford it on top of everything else we have already put into that house!!
We are 2 weeks into a new year and have started off nicely!  We are blessed in every way!

No comments: