Saturday, September 19, 2009

How Many Dryers Can One Person Kill?

The dryer that Ryan and I have been using we got 10 years ago when we first moved into our house. We got it used from his parents. They figured it would last us a year or two and then we would have to replace it....it lasted much longer than that. About a month ago though it started acting funny and for the past couple weeks it has just been living on a prayer. Finally last Saturday it gave up and died and found a new home in the garage.
Because Ryan hasn't had a single second to spare between farming and hunting on his way out the door last Saturday he told me to check Craigslist. I luckily found a dryer not far from me for only $100. (Which was a blessing because who has $500 burning a hole in their pocket right now?? NOT ME!) I ran and picked it up and Sunday afternoon Ry and his bro. unloaded it and I ran one load through it to make sure it worked. Then it sat for the entire week (I do all my laundry on Saturdays). This morning I put my first load in it and it was dead as a doornail. It wouldn't even try to work. ARGH!!! Ryan tore into the wall to see if it was electrical, but it isn't.
So - we called the guy that sold it to me and he said he has a dryer in an apartment he knows works and so he will bring us that one and trade. All I have to say is - IT BETTER WORK!
My fence can only hold so many clothes. I know that I am spoiled. I realize that the pioneers had to hang dry their clothes all the time, but they really only had one set of work clothes and one set of Sunday clothes. I am guessing that they didn't wash their Sunday clothes very often so really they only had to put on one set of scratchy clothes once a week....not every morning and p.j.'s every night. And.......don't even get me started on scratchy towels and underwear.:)

4 comments:

Echo said...

THOSE BRAVE PIONEERS! Hope you find one that works!

Nanette said...

Do your scratchy clothes have a certain aroma? I remember when I was growing up we always line dried our clothes and I always smelled a little funny.

Jess said...

Wow what an adventure! I hope you get a dryer that works. I remember using the clothes line in the summer growing up and I hated the scratchy towels and underwear too! I feel your pain.

Jenny said...

Love the photo of your laundry on the "line" :). You'll make it. I hope the guy finds a dryer that works for you. UGH!