Monday, May 16, 2011

Lagoon and SLC 2011

On Friday we headed to Salt Lake City with our Hawkins cousins. We took the kids to the Church History Museum. My kids had been to the museum before, but their cousins hadn't. I LOVE the museum. One of the missionaries there explained to us that the church only has 1 museum, so everything in the museum is ORIGINAL. We got to see pages written by Oliver Cowdrey of the translation of the Book of Mormon and we saw the face castings (I think that is what they called them) of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum. We got to see the huge 12 foot tall Angel Moroni that is a replacate of the one on the temple, plus SO MUCH MORE.

One of my kids favorite parts of the museum is the childrens "hands on" exhibit. They have changed it since the last time we came, so it was all so new and exciting. This is the magnetic wall that they could build their own quilt on. This is the back of JD, Oakley, Macady and Rhett. (from left to right)
This is Nephi's boat. There were some planks the kids got to put together like a puzzle, then of course, the fishing. SO FUN!

They had a fire truck to climb on and a kitchen and a shape sorter type garden to plant. They also had stuffed chickens you could lift up to gather the eggs. My kids loved it all!

This was our favorite part.....they had a 1/2 wall of mirrors that you got to put these great big, full Spanish skirts on and stand in front of. Behind the kids were two screens of Spanish dancers that would do these Spanish dances and the kids would watch them in the mirrors and try to follow along. It was so fun to watch them. They were actually pretty good at it!

These are the boys dancing the boys version with their Spanish vests on!:)

They also had these big foam pieces you could build towers out of. They had so much more than I could even take pictures of for the kids to try out. My kids seriously could have spent hours there and my favorite part is......it teaches them about the church and it is all FREE!!!

Saturday we went to Lagoon to watch Oakley and her group dance. This was them practicing. The building they danced in made my pictures super dark, so these were actually better pictures than the real ones.

Lining up for dance #2! Oakley is 2nd from the right.

This is just after they performed. One of the girls disappeared so I only got these 3. They did SOOO GOOD! They got a 1st and a 2nd place on their dances and Oakley got 3 1sts on her solos and 2 2nds.

We had a day full of fun with BEAUTIFUL weather. I rode quite a few rides I hadn't rode since I was a teenager. The kids are getting big enough to ride the crazy exciting rides and so I am the lucky one that gets to join in. Rhett insisted on riding the "mouse" and I had only rode it once as a little girl and HATED it. I tried convincing him that we shouldn't ride it, but he insisted. SO - he and I climbed on. WE HATED IT!! We both ended up closing our eyes almost the entire ride! It was as awful as I remembered. Laiklie rode a ride with me and 1/2 way through she yells, "Dis ride is makin' me sick......I am really getting sick.....sick, sick, sick!" I was laughing at how cute she was saying it and praying she wasn't really getting sick. She survived!:) We had a great day together and look forward to next year!

I posted 2 posts today, so if you didn't read about the fort, keep reading!!

3 comments:

Nanette said...

That is so fun! Congrats to your not-so-little dancer!
I am really hoping to take my boys to the museum in July, I love it too!!!

Jenny said...

Glad Laiklie didn't really get sick, sick, sick! :) Sorry we didn't see you. Glad Oakley did fabulous!

Echo said...

I didn't know they had all that fun stuff for kids. I'll have to make a stop there!