I have been the young woman's president in our ward now for just over a year and we just had our big Young Women in Excellence program. I am SO IN LOVE with the handout we gave the girls and the presentation that I had one of the speakers do that I wanted to share.
The theme for the night was "I'm Going There Someday." We had the girls make these temple cans (idea from my aunt's ward) a few weeks ago and inside we put a Preparing for the Temple pamphlet, a temple recommend holder, a white bracelet the girls made to hold their temple name, a white hankie with a poem and letters to them from their parents telling them how proud they are of them for choosing to go to the temple. These cans are saved by the girls to be opened the night before they go to the temple. I LOVE the way they turned out once I spray painted them and covered them with burlap.
I heard of an idea from my sis-in-laws ward about a lady who told a story of a YW she knew who made wrong choices that kept her from the temple. All simple little decisions that slowly pulled her down the wrong path. As the lady told the story she started cutting up the wedding dress next to her. So....I LOVED this idea. I bought this wedding dress (pretty for $50 right?!!) and we used it and another gorgeous dress from a lady in our ward as part of our decorations the night of our program. I then asked the stake yw pres to do this same type idea. As she started into the story and told the girls of this yw's first bad decision she grabbed a pair of scissors and cut the sleeve off of this dress standing there next to her. You should have heard the gasps from my yw....and if you could have seen the looks on their faces. It was a perfect object lesson. She continued to cut and cut with each bad decision and by the end of the story the dress wasn't near as beautiful. She of course covered repentance, but also told the girls the importance of making the right decision FIRST! It was SO GOOD and SO POWERFUL!!
Then to end the night I had one of my old YW that has a very touching story about losing her baby during delivery come and speak to the girls. She isn't much older than them and she told them the importance of a temple marriage and a priesthood holder husband and then told them briefly the story of losing her baby. Also VERY POWERFUL!! What an amazing night!! Sure love my yw and the opportunity I have to be their leader!





1 comment:
I love this idea! awesome
Post a Comment