I forgot to post about moving pipe with Dallin on August 2nd. So these posts are out of order, but I didn't want to leave this story out. Dallin is a hard worker. He always has been, but this is the summer that Dallin really learned how to work like a man. This summer he learned the valuable lesson that we don't quit when we are tired, we quit when the job is finished.
On August 2nd, Ryan and Dale were getting started with grain harvest and there was plenty of work to do and not enough help to get it done. So Dallin and I were sent to Bone to move the pipe first thing that morning. We knew we had to hurry so we could get back and help with the grain trucks. So we got up there quickly. Both Dallin and I have moved pipe in Bone before, both several times, but never alone without Ryan or Dale. We are smart people though and knew we could figure it out. We had EVERYTHING that could go wrong GO WRONG! It was AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE! We had entire lines blow out, we had riser/valve issues, grass up to our waists and cuts and bruises by the time we were finished. We were finally able to get the job done after working our guts out, alot of yelling at each other, and some tears. Dallin learned that day that he had to focus on the job at hand and not worry about what was going on at home that we weren't getting to. It was a good lesson to learn.
As we left the ranch that morning I sent Ryan and Dale a text letting them know just how bad things went that morning. Over and over as we worked I heard Dallin say, "Dad and Dale are going to be so mad about........" and the list went on and on. I made sure Ryan and Dale knew that my 14 year old boy works as hard as a full grown man and if either of them said ANYTHING to him about how we did things that morning in any way other than a teaching moment that I would be LIVID! They actually were super understanding and I think felt bad we got the crappy end of the stick that day. :) I am grateful for this farm life we live that teaches our children how to work hard, set a goal and do all you can to accomplish it!





No comments:
Post a Comment