On Sunday, May 3rd my parents hot water heater went out on them. Ryan and I ran out that evening to help them figure out what they would need to replace it and help them figure out their options. At this point they were both still trying really hard to avoid being in public not only because of coronavirus, but also because we added cancer on top of that. Ryan came home that night and added everything they would need to his Home Depot cart online so all I would have to do it pick it up the next day. Finally about 1pm the next day I still hadn't heard from the store so I called. They were 72 hours behind on their orders so I cancelled the online order, grabbed Dallin and we ran in to wait in line outside until our turn to go into the store. (Limited number of people could shop because of the virus.) We actually got in fairly quick and got everything we needed and headed straight to Dubois. We were able to help my dad get the new hotwater heater in the basement and get the plumbing hooked up.....thanks to Dallin. He is such a good kid and when we were missing a part he figured out a way to get the same part off the old pipes. It was fun to watch these two work together. We left as my dad's neighbor pulled in to help him hook it up to the power. That evening we got a call from my very blue dad. When the hotwater heater went out it blew the breaker which ended up breaking it and they had no idea until they couldn't get the new water heater to work. He was devastated. We had tried so hard to get it all working so that my mom could have a shower before her first cancer appointment the next day. :( She put on her brave face though and made some boiling water work. While they were at the cancer appointment Rhett, Laiklie and I ran from hardware store to hardware store looking for the right breaker. I met them in Rexburg as they were coming out of the cancer center with a few breakers to take home. As an answer to a prayer one of the breakers WORKED and she was able to atleast have a hot shower before she started chemo the following day!
I think the reason this story will forever be ingrained in my mind is all the emotions that were involved. Our hearts were all very tender at the time just trying to work through the cancer end of things and so to have such a dumb trial as a hotwater heater and then a breaker just felt like being kicked while we were down. It was a great reminder that even at our lowest Heavenly Father is aware of us and our earthly struggles. Sometimes we need those tender reminders. What a relief to have it fixed.





No comments:
Post a Comment