I have thought about this post for a long time and still don't know what I want to say about it, but I did want to pay tribute to those who lived and died, and walked and crawled, and suffered and rejoiced as they made their way to freedom. Last year on this day - Pioneer Day - Ryan and I were lucky enough to be at Martin's Cove in Wyoming with our stake. The January before the Stake Presidency called Ryan and I in and asked us to attend "Trek" as a Ma & Pa and Ryan told them "No" (because of farming) and it broke my heart and I cried and then...he told them "Yes." What a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It is one that I can't write or talk about without crying. When we were asked to go on trek we were asked to prepare by doing as much reading and indexing as possible to spiritually get ourselves ready. We were instructed to find a pioneer from the Willie and Martin Handcart Company to walk for. I only had one ancestor that I could find in either of those companies and it was a man...so I chose a lady whose story I loved.
The lady I chose to walk for was a lady named Elsie Nelson. Elsie and her husband had a son and a neighbors daughter that they crossed the plains with. While crossing she lost her son and the neighbors daughter. When Elsie and her husband arrived at Rocky Ridge her husband sat down to die. Elsie (a little tiny woman) put her husband in her handcart and pulled him up over the ridge. The first time I read her story I decided I was walking for her because I was constantly feeling like I was pulling Ryan along in life...what wife doesn't feel this way. And then, just before trek I reread Elsie's story and she said that as she looked at her husband sitting there wanting to die she didn't know what she would do without him and THAT is why she put him in her handcart and pulled him up over Rocky Ridge. After reading it and looking at it that way it gave me a whole new perspective. I look at Ryan and can not imagine life without him. I would put him in my handcart and pull him behind anywhere I need to as long as I have him.
About the pictures:
Picture #1 - Our family - (left to right)
Holly - the Bully, Sarah - only ate celery & yogurt (not real trek friendly foods), Ry & Me, Trisha - 17 years old and literally had to be tucked in, Collin - so quiet, Shae - had type 1 diabetes (nothing new to us), and Tanner - the flirt.
Picture #2 - Holly and I showing our strength. The boys were pushing...or so THEY say they were!!
Picture #3 - Those are my feet during the womens pull. We got stuck on a rock 1/2 way up the hill and I was sure we were going back down. I weigh 127 and I was the toughest (other than maybe Holly who weighed the same) of all 5 of us. We were a pretty sad team and us girls pulling the handcart straight up the sandy hill was one of the very hardest things I have ever done. My entire body was shaking when we got to the top.





5 comments:
Ok, now you are making me cry. What a wonderful post...I think this is by far, my most favorite one from your blog. What a treasure! Thank you for sharing it!!!
That's awesome, Natalie. The lady I run with just got back from a family reunion where they did the trek. (How fun would that be?!) She has been telling me all kinds of stories and it just gives me shivers. What a neat thing to be a part of. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Thanks for sharing. Sure love you.
Wow! How awesome would that be? I am not sure if you were still in Young Womens when our stake went to Martin's Cove. I loved every minute of it, but how lucky are you to be older and more spiritually mature and experience it?! I wish I could do it again, that's for sure. Tell Cody I said "hello" next time you talk to him.
I get teared up reading your post. I hope someday to get an experience somewhat like that. You inspire us all to think more about the pioneers and those before us.
Post a Comment