Sunday, January 24, 2010

YW's Help

So, I am incharge of the New Beginnings for YW in our ward. The new theme for the YM/YW this year is STRONG & COURAGEOUS. I have the program and musical numbers finished and all worked out. I have the refreshments taken care of too, but I am seriously in need of help with the decorations. We want it to be a spiritual night, and we are going to have the regular white lights & fake trees around the room, but when you think of STRONG AND COURAGEOUS what do you think of?? Last year they decorated with lighthouses because the theme had something to do with Holding up your light. Do you get what I mean? What goes with STRONG AND COURAGEOUS that the girls would recognize as that. The program also mentions the SHIELD OF FAITH numerous times....so, we could go with something along those lines too. Anyway, I want a comment from EVERYONE as to what they would do - GOOD OR BAD....I need HELP!!

7 comments:

Jessica Taylor Blaine said...

What about doing a display with healthy things like dumbells,weights, good food, and then on the other side things that make us spiritually strong, scriptures, personal progress, good music etc. You could make a shield of armore to go between them or as the back drop. You need to be both physically strong and spiritually strong to conquer the world.

Penny said...

I am having visions of full size tinfoil shields and matching swords for each value. The crest could include the scripture or quotes about that. It would be awesome if you could find a real life suit of armour or those chain suits. Have fun, i know that you will do a fabulous job!

Echo said...

Hmm...maybe get pictures of all the stong and courageous women in church history and display them with their story. You'll do great, let me know how it goes!

AmyJo Denise said...

hmmm. The theme..."be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: For the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest..." reminds me of the footprints in the sand poem...also of D&C 6:34-36...not that sheep are couragous...but also that picture of the girl with the whole armor of God comes to mind...and Laaambert...the sheepish lion...not that those are great ideas...they are just the first that come to mind.

Natalie said...

Echo...that was my idea too. I wondered if anyone would come up with it. I found a great book online yesterday that has AMAZING pictures of these ladies and can't wait to get it in the mail. I am PRAYING it comes before next tuesday.

Echo said...

Awesome. I am sure you will do a great job. By the way, what is the name of the book. I am in YW too and may need soemthing like that. Good luck with everything!

Natalie said...

Its called Daughters of Grace. Check it out on amazon.com. It has BEAUTIFUL pictures. I like the pictures way better than any I could find at the distribution center. I am hoping they are big enough to frame in some way or another. It also goes through and tells each of their stories. I am excited!!