Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Geography Bee

On January 27th Rhett got to participate in the elementary geography bee.  He qualified by being one of the top finishers on a geography test given to all 4th-6th graders.  He was one of only 10 kids in our elementary who got to participate.  I had never been to a geography bee and didn't realize it was a super official thing.  They had Jay Hildabrant, the channel 8 news anchor, there to MC the bee.  They went down the line asking first geography questions about the USA. They also asked questions involving maps and then moved onto world geography.  The questions were INSANELY HARD!! I seriously had no idea on several of them!! Rhett was the first to answer two correctly and so he was the WINNER!!!







Such a super neat thing!! Sadie and Tim got 2nd and 3rd place.  Because Rhett was the winner he took an online geography test to see if he qualified for the state geography bee.  A few weeks later I got a phone call from Rhett at the school telling me HE QUALIFIED!! I guess Mrs. Baird (the other 6th grade teacher) got the email that morning letting her know and so she took her whole 6th grade class into Rhett's classroom and asked if they could interrupt for just a minute.  When Mr. Shiffler said they could they all yelled, "CONGRATULATIONS RHETT, YOU'RE GOING TO STATE!" Soooo exciting!!! So proud of this kid!

No comments: