On March 31st Rhett was able to participate in the State Geography Bee after his first place finish in our elementary Geography Bee. He was one of 77 kids in Idaho that qualified. That morning as we were headed out I got a call from the principal asking me to swing by the school really fast, they had a surprise for Rhett. They had us go in the back door....and Rhett thought we were there so I could talk to the cafeteria ladies....he had no idea what was going on. When we rounded the corner EVERY STUDENT and STAFF MEMBER was waiting in the hall to surprise him with a big Good Luck send off. It seriously made me cry watching him run up and down the hall high-fiving everyone. LOVED IT!! We have the BEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL EVER! It was my favorite part of the day!
When we got to BYU-I we checked in, got his lanyard and t-shirt and then signed the big Idaho map.
They did a big group photo and an Opening Ceremonies then divided all 77 qualifiers into preliminary round groups of about 20 each. We weren't allowed to watch, so me and my parents just waited for the hour it took them. They only took the top 10 to the final round, and Rhett was not in the top 10. We are SO PROUD of him though. The geography bee questions are SOOOO HARD!! My dad and I sat and tried to answer a few that came up on the screen as we waited and had no idea on most of them. After the preliminary round, Rhett and I stayed and watched to see who won. It was a great experience! It was organized and very catered to the kids. I love that all the kids came away feeling like winners. Such a neat day and I'm so grateful I got to be there to support Rhett. So proud of him!!





No comments:
Post a Comment