Thursday, December 9, 2021

Scare of a Lifetime

On July 10th we had the scare of a lifetime! Cousins Danica & Tyce had stayed with us for a couple days after grandmas funeral and while they were here them, Rhett, Laiklie & Miriam decided they wanted to float the canal. The first run from our house down to where it hits our neighbors place wasn’t too bad, but the willows hang low and kind of tore them up a little so I told them we’d try a new spot. I dropped them off at the flume and since the water was so high I told them when they got to the bridge just to grab hold of the bridge and pull themselves out. It worked great in my mind. The reality of it turned from great plan to scary nightmare very quickly though. 
Rhett hit the bridge first and as he grabbed hold it sucked his tube underneath and tried pulling him with it. I grabbed his arms, but his body kept getting pulled under. He was able to hold on though as I yelled to the others to get to the side. They were coming towards us fast. Rhett was able to find the strength to get the top half of his body on the bridge as Laiklie hit and started getting sucked under as well. I grabbed onto her, but she didn’t have the arm strength to pull herself up. In the mean time Tyce was able to get him and Danica to the side where they were able to get out safely. I was helping Laiklie work her hands along the bridge to the side as Miriam hit the bridge and started getting sucked under. Rhett was able to grab her until I was able to get there to help him. In the end, with help from heaven, (probably moms 1st assignment) we were able to get all 5 teenagers out of the water. Several of us were bleeding and torn up, but all safe. Such a scary day. We were reminded just how powerful water truly is! 


 

No comments: