Oakley's blood fluctuates SO MUCH right now because of growth spurts and hormones. It worries me and so we try to watch it super close. The other night we went out for ice cream and on the way home I asked if she had done insulin. She said, "Yep, 60 carbs." That was great and I was proud of her for doing it before I even asked. About a 1/2 hour after I put her to bed though she came up with this blood number.....
She was shaky and that ALWAYS makes us nervous! We handed her what was left of my pepsi on the cupboard, some candy and a bag of doritos. The lowest Oakley has ever been was a 36, so we were pretty close to our lowest low. :( I checked her several times throughout the night and thankfully she came back up to normal range. It took me until the next morning before it hit me what we had done wrong. Oakley did 60 carbs for AN ICE CREAM CONE! She usually has a shake which is about 60 carbs, but this time she has a cone which is 1/2 the carbs of a shake. I am so glad she felt the low before she drifted off to sleep. Diabetes is a scary disease. We hear all to often of children going to sleep, going low and never waking up. Because of this I wake-up night after night after night to check my sweet girls blood as she sleeps. There are nights that I pause at her door and pray she rolls over or makes some sort of noise or movement before I walk into her room just as a reassurance that she is okay. We love this girl (along with our 3 other babes) more than life itself and what a blessing it is that she is strong enough to deal with diabetes LIKE A BOSS!! :)
.jpg)





1 comment:
Hi,
I just found your blog. I have a little girl that is 10 she was diagnosed T1 when she was 8. Thank you for sharing your journey!!! I love seeing your daughter involved and so active in different activities, I worry so much about what the teenage years hold for us. We still haven't gotten to the point that I am comfortable letting her sleep over at friends houses, so it is so great to see the independence that you have given your daughter. It gives me hope for the future. God Bless!!!
Post a Comment