Thursday, April 30, 2009

Recognizing the Lords Hand in our lives -

Every morning and night when we have our family prayers we pray for safety. I think it is more out of habit than anything. We go through our normal daily routines usually very uneventful...until we have an accident and then is when we recognize the Lords Hand in our lives.The past few days Ryan has been digging 6 foot deep trenches in our driveway to replace and lay new water pipes. (He has to get water to his 130 trees :)) Last night after the kids were out of the tub Laiklie fell asleep on the floor so the 3 big kids and I decided to walk out and see what dad was doing. The kids loved looking down into the holes and were just running around the driveway.
Ryan wanted some pictures of where the water lines were laid, so I ran in to the house to get the camera and was met by the door on my way back out by Rhett. All he said - that I understood anyway was - the gate fell and Oakley. By then I could hear her crying and ran over to the corrals where I could hear the crying coming from. Of course when you know there is an accident as a mom you always prepare for the worst. The first thing I saw was Oakley on the ground pinned up under a gate that Ry had leaning against the corrals. The next thing I saw made my heart swell. (I know that is on old lady thing to say, but it is how I felt!) There standing next to her was her brother Dallin trying with all his might to lift the gate off of her and free his hurt and crying sister. The gate was too heavy and there was no way he could have lifted it off of her, but he was holding some of the weight so it wasn't on her legs. I have a big brother that literally saved my life (it involves a hot dog and the Heimlich maneuver) and my mind instantly went back to that day. I was so proud of my little man that he was doing all in his power to help Oakley. Anyway - I lifted the gate off of her and dried the tears and after looking at the situation realized it could have been SO MUCH worse. The gate landed exactly on her in the one way that couldn't have broken her leg and it was a blessing it pinned her under it, because she was inches away from the 6 foot trench. If it would have pushed her without pinning her she would have gone in the hole. So, today we are looking at life differently, once again recognizing that the Lord is in control and that he does hear and answer our prayers - even if they are just out of habit.


6 comments:

Nanette said...

Oh Natalie! How scary!!! I'm so glad the Lord kept you all safe and this story made me cry when I read about Dallin!! Seriously-that is so precious!!! Thank you for the reminder, I'm glad everyone is ok.

Arnica said...

So, you could have warned me on the phone this morning that what you needed Rhett to get off the computer for was so that you could put this on. Maybe if I'd had a warning, I wouldn't have cried near as much. I'm glad everything was okay. Tell Dallin what a tough man I think he is!

Heather said...

Oh my Gosh! I am so glad she is okay. Dallin is a sweetheart. What an awesome brother he is. Thankyou for the reminder, we each need the Lord daily. Love you guys!

Jenny said...

I love the way you constantly testify in your straight-forward, humble way. I am so glad you are all well! Get those holes filled up Quick!

Tanille said...

It made me cry to read about little Dallin trying to lift the gate off of Oakley. What a sweet sweet boy. I'm so glad everyone was alright, things like that are so so scary!

kjjaco5 said...

Such a sweet story! One to remeber! (tears)