We had Oakley's regular 3 month diabetic appointment this past Tuesday and her doctor told us that she is like the ideal diabetic patient because we have had diabetes for 3 years and haven't had a single problem.
That was...until yesterday!!
(Ryan is sure the Doc. jinxed us!)
Oakley woke me up yesterday morning telling me she thought she was going to throw-up. About 10 minutes later (just after 8am) she threw-up and then she threw-up again and again and again. We have been warned over and over by the doctors that throw-ups and diabetes don't mix well, but we have never really had a problem with it. Oakley ALWAYS gets high blood when she is sick so we expected that and were checking her blood and giving her insulin all day. Finally around noon I called Ryan and told him she was SO SICK and he needed to get home to give her a blessing. It hit me how sick she was when she couldn't stand up after going to the bathroom without help. Ryan gave her a blessing and told me that if she kept throwing-up I better call the doctor. So, when I called they told me to BRING HER IN.
We got to the Dr.'s just after 3 and they started an IV instantly. They pumped her IV full of insulin to try to get her blood down from 390 to normal (around 150). She was so weak she couldn't even sit to get the IV in. When you have continual high blood sugar your body fills with acid and Oakley's blood tests showed high acid counts. So, they ran the first IV bag into her pretty quickly and then put a second bag on to run for about 6 hours and sent us home with the IV in her and instructions as to how to pull it out in the middle of the night.
Other than a fever that showed up once we got home we did pretty well in the night. It was a VERY LONG NIGHT...but I was even able to pull the IV out like a pro!!
We ran back in for more blood tests this morning to see where her acid was at. They had to poke her a few times this morning to get one of her veins to bleed for them. She has the tiniest veins! Anyway, everything looked so much better that they sent us home!
She is back to her normal self today...picking on her brothers and running around outside. We survived our first big scare and hope to have atleast 3 more years before we have another.





6 comments:
Oh I just ache for your sweet little girl and your family!!!! That is so terrifying! I'm glad you went to the Dr and I'm so happy that she is feeling well again.
What a nightmare-I hope that you do have a retreat from those complications for a long time. I'm glad to hear she is doing well again.
oh, how terrible! I just hate needles, I faint and the first sign of them. What a brave little girl you have raised.
Love you all, Natalie. Glad you survived, but hard to see and hear about. Good thing your Oakley is patient.
She is so sweet and I hate to see kids hurt like that. I cry worse than the kids when they have to get immunized, so I'm proud of you both for being tough. Hope she's doing better.
I am so glad she is alright!
Post a Comment