On March 17th, not only did we put Oakley on an airplane to spend spring break in Arizona with her Great Grandparents......we also celebrated LIFE!! It was TEN YEARS ago that day that Oakley was diagnosed with Type One Diabetes. I picked my little 5 year old up from Kindergarten after her St. Patricks Day party and ran her into the doctors office thinking that she had a bladder infection because she had to pee ALL THE TIME and had even had a few accidents. That was SOOOO NOT Oakley. The day she was potty trained, she was potty trained! We NEVER had accidents....so I knew something was wrong. After a urine sample, a finger stick and a blood draw (about 20 mins) and we were diagnosed with Type One Diabetes and sent straight to the diabetic specialist where we spent the next 6 hours pumping her full of IV fluid, doing blood draws and learning how to give shots and really, just learning about how drastically our lives were about to change. I still remember and tear up every time I think about leaving the specialists office that evening. As we got in the car and pulled out of the parking lot I said to Oakley, "Oh sis, I'm sorry today has been such a long day!" and she said, "but not a bad day mom!" Our sweet girl had been poked and prodded for the past 6 hours over and over again and didn't consider it a bad day! That is how Oakley has always faced this disease. It SUCKS! and we have some EXTREMELY CRAPPY DAYS because of it and it has had us in tears more times than I can count, but after 10 years Oakley still faces it head on and fights like the hero she is! We love her and are amazed by her EVERYDAY! So this year, 10 years later, we once again celebrated life and put her on a plan to Arizona.
Jenny's 90 Minute Rolls
11 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment