Thursday, December 12, 2019

Double Hernia Surgery

Ryan had double hernia surgery on November 26, 2019....just 2 days before Thanksgiving. He was nervous about it because his last surgery his bowels didn't wake-up for 3 days because of the anesthetic.  So, the doctor decided to do this surgery with locals and just put him to sleep without full anesthetic. He also had to do the surgery the old school way with 2, 4" incisions. He didn't dare do it laparoscopically because of mesh Ryan had in his stomach from an abdominal hernia. Everything went well and Ryan came out of surgery just fine. It took us a long time to convince the nurse that his pulse is always as low as high 30's, low 40's so that they would send him home. I finally got him home and in bed around 9 pm. That night at about 2am he woke up needing more meds and to pee. We took our time getting him up and into the bathroom just like the nurse had showed us. After he pee'd he turned around and grabbed onto the bathroom door knob for support. The door started to shake funny so I asked him, "Are you ok?" he said, "I'm dizzy!" Then he dropped! He passed out on me! I was right there and caught him, but 200 pounds of instant dead weight isn't something I'm use to catching. His head fell back and I was trying to slowly lower him to the ground without tearing open either of his incisions and without his head hitting the wall. I was worried about putting my knee right into his stomach next to those incisions too. It was all a very slo-motion kind of thing. Once I got him to the ground it took him forever (minutes.....that felt like forever) to come to. Even after he opened his eyes he didn't respond to me for a long time. He told me afterwards that he could hear me, but couldn't talk. It was so scary and I just kept praying feeling like that is all I could do.  Once I got him awake and talking I knew we now had to figure out how to get him back up off the ground. I told him I was going to go get Dallin, but he was still weak enough I didn't dare leave him even just to run downstairs. So instead we sat there for just a little longer while I came up with a plan. I knew from the way he was sitting that it might be easiest for him to just get on his hands and knees and crawl to the bed and then we could use the bed to help pull him up. It worked!! We got him successfully back into bed. A few hours later when he once again had to use the bathroom the same thing happened, but this time without the passing out. As soon as he finished he got super dizzy/sweaty and started to shake....he immediately grabbed onto the door knob and the back of the toilet for support and put his head down on my shoulder. We rode it out until the dizziness passed and luckily didn't have to deal with passing out again. After that other than just sore and major black bruising he seemed to heal well. We are 2 weeks out from surgery now and the doctor says things look great. He is still taking it very easy and only leaving the house for a few hours each day. We will be glad to have this behind us!  


No comments: