In the Spring of 2009 Oakley bought a bird with some money she had received from a diabetic trial study on the Dexcom. She named her little bird Dexlie. They told me when we bought Dexlie that they live forever and that we would send Dexlie to college with Oakley. I can't keep anything alive and thought there was absolutely no way he would live that long! Well.....a year ago when Oakley started college I tried to send Dexlie with her, but she wouldn't take him. hahaha! Lately though 10.5 years after we got him, Dexlie has been looking and acting pretty rough. All the way back in August I could tell that he wasn't doing good and we prepared to lose him, saying our goodbyes and everything. But then he made a miraculous recovery and seemed to pull through. Sunday, December 8th when we got home from church though his bar was covered in blood and he had a massive puss pocket type thing on one leg. He looked really rough and my heart broke that he was suffering. We decided it was time to let Dexlie be relieved of this crazy earth life. Dallin and Rhett took care of him with a BB gun (so sad!) and put him in a little box and buried him next to our deck out back. If I went back to 10.5 years ago I'd do it all over again. I have vacuumed up millions of bird seed over the years and cleaned the cage more times than I can count, BUT Dexlie was the perfect pet. He would sometimes sing a little too loud when our house was loud and crazy, but otherwise he was quiet, kept to himself...he actually didn't like us! and he was the perfect pet for pet day at school. He got to go to the school with all 4 kids! I will miss having him here when littles come over. Every little kid that came to my house was fascinated with Dexlie and I love that he held his own and pecked their fingers if they got too close. hahaha! He will be missed! RIP little birdie!









No comments:
Post a Comment